Friday, July 5, 2013

Almost Homemade Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Filling

Yesterday, we had our annual 4th of July cookout.  In addition to my 'oops' cake, this year I made cupcakes... I hadn't really planned to, but my aunt brought over a box of cake mix and a can of new icing that she wanted to try out. I decided that I would jazz it up a bit, so that they wouldn't be just plain boring cupcakes.

I call these "Almost" Homemade because most of the ingredients were store bought... but I did make the Vanilla Cream Filling from a recipe that I found online. 

Here's how I did it... 


 First, I baked cupcakes, according to the directions on the box. 

While the cupcakes were cooling, I prepared the vanilla cream filling, using the filling recipe found here. I put the filling in a large plastic bag so that I could pipe it into the cupcakes. 

Next, I made a small hole in each cupcake to hold the filling. There are different methods to doing this, but here's what I did.  Insert a cake decorating tip into the center of each cupcake. Don't go all the way to the bottom, because you don't want the filling to run out. 


Fill the cupcakes. 

Next comes the frosting... My aunt wanted to try the new Duncan Hines Frosting Creations frosting. She had chosen the Strawberry Shortcake flavor. The way it works is that you mix in a flavored powder with the can of white frosting. 
Mini Review: While the flavor packet mixed in really well, the frosting turns out very thin and runny. It would run out of the piping bag without any pressure. At first, it worked well on the cupcakes, but overtime, it began to run off of the cakes, almost like it was frosted while the cake was warm, but these were completely cooled. The flavor was good, but it was super sweet. It is also supposed to frost 

Frost each cupcake...I put the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip, because I wanted the swirl.

On the top of each cupcake, I added a strawberry slice. Since it was the 4th of July, I added some blue sugar sprinkles as well. They looked really good, like something you'd see if a bakery.

When you bite into, or cut into the cupcake, this is what it looks like...
(Note... you can see how runny the icing is here)

The cupcakes were very good, but a little on the sweet side. I think I will try them again, using a different kind of frosting...something that is a little thicker and will hold up. I will also use a tip with a wider base when poking my holes, so that I can get more filling into them.

Did you make any yummy treats for July 4th? 
Photobucket

1 comment:

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails