Monday, April 8, 2013

The Thin Blue Line

I'm sure that somewhere, sometime, you have seen an image similar to this one.
You may know what it stands for, and you may not. This is the Thin Blue Line. It is a symbol for Law Enforcement, and is often used to show support or to remember fallen Officers. 

I'll admit, I never really thought much about Law Enforcement Officers, until my sister started dating, and then married one.  My brother in law is a Deputy Sheriff. Even when they were dating, and first got married, I never really thought about the sacrifice that these men and women make on a daily basis.  That all changed very early on the morning of April 8, 2009. 

Early in their marriage, my sister would spend the night with me when her new husband worked night shift, because she didn't want to stay alone. On that morning, around 2 am, she came into my room, visibly shaken, and in a panic. She told me that Brad had just called, and that he had been on the scene of a standoff, and shootout, and that 2 Deputies had been injured, and that things were not looking good for one of them. To say that there was little sleep in our house that morning was an understatement. 

Later it was confirmed that Detective Rickie "Allen" Pearson, Jr. had been killed in the line of duty. You can read the local news story here.  He was 29 years old. A life ended so very early, while he was serving and protecting the community. My eyes were opened in more ways than one. 

Over the course of the week, the outpouring of love and support that I witnessed was indescribable. What I saw was the entire Law Enforcement community pulling together to mourn the loss of a fallen brother. I spent the night with my sister the night before the funeral, and as I was driving home, I met line after line of Law Enforcement Officers driving the the funeral.  Over 200 Law Enforcement Officers attended Pearson's Funeral, coming from as far away as Texas and Florida. That, my friends, is a brotherhood...a tight knit family of people who put their lives on the line every single day to ensure the safety of others. 

While I did not know Allen Pearson personally, his story has definitely impacted my life.  I now have the utmost respect for what Law Enforcement Officers do on a daily basis. My thought process never includes "that jerk of a cop" anymore. 

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, over 20,000 LEOs have paid the ultimate sacrifice while in the line of duty. Today, I remember one of those, one that hit a little too close to home for comfort. 


"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13


After his death, Allen Pearson's family and friends formed the Allen Pearson Emergency Services Foundation. I have included a video below that will show you more about Allen Pearson, and the great work that this foundation is doing to honor his memory. 


Today, and every day, let us be grateful for Law Enforcement, and let us remember the things that the willingly encounter to keep us safe. Rest in Peace Allen Pearson.  Remembering you today, LC105.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great post! It always breaks my heart to see a life taken too young. I am very thankful for the men and women who protect our country both close to home and in other parts of the world.

    Also, thanks for sharing what that blue line means. We see those on cars all the time and my husband and I have been trying to figure out what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. My husband is law enforcement and sometimes people just don't understand their sacrifices. I am very sorry to hear about officer pearson. We've lost to many brothers and sisters.

    My husband is no longer on the streets because of his rank but we've had our home broken into, a vehicle stole by a man he fired, and numerous others.

    I respect anyone who can put on a bullet proof vest and go to work everyday.

    Take Care,
    Mandy Jean
    www.mandyjeanchic.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails