Saturday, March 16, 2013

Handprint Quilt

Earlier this week, I told you about when my love for quilting began. After that first quilt was finished, almost 10 years ago, I had never completed another one... until last October.

Every year, our church has a "Harvest Festival" and there is an auction to raise money for different Ministries. Sometimes, Sunday School classes will get together and make things to go on the auction. My Mama and my Aunt teach the Sunday School class for 3, 4 and 5 year olds.  A few months before the auction, my Mama told me that she wanted her class to do a quilt, but that I would have to help her with it. Because I can't ever say "No," I agreed. I was excited to begin working on another quilt.

She said that she wanted each child to put their handprint on a block, and then to put them all together.  I did some searches online and found something that I could work with. Each child's handprint was yellow on a white block. We wrote their name and age on the block with their handprint with a fabric marker. We had some blocks left over, so the teachers each did a handprint, and one block said "Beginner's Sunday School Class 2012"and the other said "Red and Yellow, Black and White, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world." (I wished after I wrote that on the block, that there was some red in the quilt.) I framed each block with fabric in a white, black, yellow and gray color scheme.  I used a jelly roll for the strips.  Then, I sashed and backed the quilt with a solid yellow.  As for the actual quilting, I just stitched in the ditch.

It was no where near perfect! There was crooked lines, and fabric puckers. But in the end, I was pleased with it, since it was really, the first quilt that I'd completed, start to finish on my own.  At the auction, I was blown away when it was the very first item up for auction, and the winning bid was $225!

Have a look! Sorry for the crappy pictures, but these are the only ones I have.





I love the colors of the quilt. I've since learned a lot that will make my next one even better!  What do you think?

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Crystal, omg i am in awe of you and your quilting skills!! I LOVE quilts, they are my fave kind of blanket. This one came out soooo cute! I dont even know how to sew lol. I wish we lived close so you could teach us! haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails