Monday, February 4, 2013

Sunday Supper

Our family has a tradition of Sunday Supper. For as long as I can remember, we've had supper at my Grandma and Granddaddy's house. We have a relatively small immediate family (my Dad has 1 sister, and she has 1 daughter), but Sunday nights were the time that we all gathered around Grandma's table and had a meal.  Afterwards, we would sit around and talk and just hang out.

Over the years, our family has gone through some changes.  Most notably, my Grandma passed away almost 9 years ago. The three granddaughters that were so young back then, have all grown up, and are now 20 somethings.  Boyfriends have come and gone.  2 of them are married now and live about an hour away. The family continues to grow with the addition of 3 Great-Grandchildren (and one on the way).  Throughout all of this, Sunday nights have remained our constant.

Grandma used to do all of the cooking.  She loved to do it, and the food was good.  Over the last 9 years, my Mom and my Aunt have taken turns cooking, but we still bring it all to Granddaddy's house.  Every once in a while, one of the Granddaughters will jump into the mix to give them a break. (Most of the time, its me...)  Both my Mom and my Aunt have birthdays coming up this week, so I decided to give them a night off last night and to cook for everyone. This is no easy task... we have some picky eaters and some tough critics.

The Menu:
Mini BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Garden Peas
Biscuits
Dessert: Birthday Cake

I cooked everything at my Mom's house and then took it over to Granddaddy's. (The live next door to each other).  Everything was packed in Tupperware (of course!), which makes it easy to serve in and then easily store the leftovers.

The BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves was a new recipe that I found on Pinterest.  The original (linked above) uses caramelized onions. We have a lot of onion haters, so I skipped that part.  It was a little risky to move away from the traditional meatloaf, but I think it went over well.  I made the Loaded Mashed Potatoes from scratch, not using any particular recipe, but they were super yummy.

Here's my plate:
And the cake (quick decorating job... nothing fancy)


It turned out to be a good meal. No one complained, lol... What is your favorite family tradition?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails