Monday, February 11, 2013

Music Monday: Wagon Wheel Showdown


Something a little different for this week's Music Monday post... a Showdown of sorts. If you haven't heard the song Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show by now, you've probably been living under a rock for say, oh the last 3 or 4 years, at least.  Well, maybe you have to be a certain kind of 'people'... I don't know. But me, I'm from the South, and here, this song is kind of a BIG deal. Something about this song makes people go nuts when it's played at a concert or a bar, no matter who it being sang by. Maybe, it has something to do with the lyrics "Headed down south to the land of the pines, And I'm thumbin' my way into North Caroline" or "And if I die in Raleigh, At least I will die free" We have a local band here that actually does a pretty decent cover of the song.

I really think that the first time I was introduced to this song was when Vanessa sang it in her American Idol audition for Season 9.  I've heard it many many times since then, and this song just makes you want to sing along! It's country, it's folksy, it's bluegrass, it's just good music.  If by some chance haven't heard this song, allow me to introduce you.  Here's the original version by Old Crow Medicine Show. 


There have been many covers of this song, and some by very notable people.  However, recently Hootie, err.. Darius Rucker, released his version of Wagon Wheel to radio, and it will be on his upcoming album with guests Lady Antebellum.  There has been mixed reviews of Rucker's version.  I kind of like it, but it is definitely not the original.  Some people are downright outraged that he would even touch the song.  Here is the Darius Rucker with Lady A version: 


Different? Yes.  Completely horrible? Not in my opinion... No matter which version I hear, the volume will still go up, and you can find me belting "Rock me Mama like the wind and the rain, rock me Mama like a south bound train, Hey... Mama rock me..." at the top of my lungs! 

Which version has your vote?  OCMS or Darius Rucker? Let me know in the comments! 

*****
Today I'm linking up with some awesome Blog Hops/Link Ups today! This is new for me, but I hope to meet some new awesome bloggers and to continue this!  I think it's going to give me more motivation to be more consistent with my blogging!  So... check out these link ups! 



*****
Also, don't forget to enter the awesome Tupperware Gift Certificate Giveaway that I have going on right now!  You don't want to miss out!  It ends Friday! 


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for linking up with us for Monday Mingling! It is so nice to "meet" you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails