Monday, February 18, 2013

Conversations With My Nephew

One of the most amazing things about being an Aunt is watching Parker and Maggie grow up and hit milestones.  Seeing all of the things that they are learning to do is mind boggling. I know that these kids aren't my own, but I love them like they are, and if you would hear me talk about them, without knowing, you would probably think that I was talking about my own children. I love the stages of life that they are in right now.  Maggie is a little over 6 months old and is sitting up and laughing at everything.  Parker is a little over 2 and a half, and this kid makes me laugh every single time that I'm around him.

One of the most interesting things about the stage that Parker is now is having conversations with him.  He has the memory of an elephant, so we often hear stories about things that happened weeks or even months ago. For the longest time, my sister was afraid that Parker wasn't going to talk until he was much older, mostly because she was comparing him to our cousin's twin girls, who talked a lot earlier than Parker did. Well, once he started talking, there was no stopping him!  For a while, we couldn't understand anything that he was saying, but now, he's talking in full sentences and you can actually have a conversation with him.  The first time that we actually talked on the phone was such a sweet day for me. Because let me tell you... this boy definitely has my heart.


I took that picture right after Parker sat at his desk (the same desk I sat at as a kid) and said to me "I write Crystal's face!"

I love that when he talks to me, he calls me "Crystal," but when I ask him what my name is, he enthusiastically says "Aunt Crystal." He loves talking about trucks and race cars. He loves talking about his baby sister. Maggie is "his baby," and he will argue with you if you try to tell him differently. 

A rare occurrence happened this weekend... it snowed.  It was so fun to hear him talk about the snow.  When it started coming down, we were at my Mama's house.  He said "It's snowing! White snow!  It's stuck on Crystal's car... we need to wash it off!"  Then he wanted to know if it was snowing at his house.  When I showed him a picture of a house near his, he excitedly said "Snowing at my house!  Look baby! Snow!" It was so cute! When he actually went out in the snow for a minute, I think he was a little scared of it. 


Perhaps, my favorite conversation, to date, with Parker happened on Saturday.  He dumped a whole box of puzzle pieces on the floor and I asked him to pick them up and put them back in the box, because he obviously wasn't interested in playing with them.  He quickly put one piece back in the box and then said "Help me Crystal!" To which I replied, "I didn't help you dump then out Parker.  You can pick them up." He came back with "I'm cleaning up my best Crystal." Oh, be still my heart!

I'm so lucky that I live close to my sister and her children.  A lot of Aunts don't have that luxury.  I look forward to many more conversations with my nephew. I'm always wondering what he is going to say next!

*****
Today I'm linking up with these fabulous ladies. 




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails