Monday, January 21, 2013

Music Monday: Merry Go 'Round by Kacey Musgraves


I'm bringing back Music Monday!  It's been a while since I've blogged about a song, but music is constantly 'speaking' to me, so it's time that I pick back up.

Today's featured song is "Merry Go 'Round" by Kacey Musgraves.  The first time I heard this song, I only caught the tail end of it, and I thought "Well, that's, um, interesting."  It was definitely not "love at first listen" for me. Then, I started hearing it more, and I really listened to the words.
If you ain't got two kids by 21,
You're probably gonna die alone
At least that's what tradition told you.
And it don't matter if you don't believe,
Come Sunday morning you best be there
In the front row, like you're s'posed to.
Those words definitely ring true to me.  I've definitely been feeling the societal pressures of kids and marriage for the past few years.  I've written about it here before, and I'm sure that it will come up again. But what I think this song really talks about is the struggle to break the cycle of "settling" that so many people, especially in small towns, get stuck in.
We get bored so we get married
And just like dust we settle in this town.
It tackles topics such as addiction and adultery that often plague families, but oftentimes aren't discussed, and how families in small town America are often more a like than different.
Same hurt in every heart.
Same trailer, different park.
Mamas hooked on Mary Kay
Brothers hooked on Mary Jane
And Daddy's hooked on Mary two doors down.
The instrumentation (don't you love these very technical music terms I'm using?  Music class might be paying off, after all) is wonderful...very reminiscent of "old school" country music with its banjos and acoustic feel. I love the tie in of nursery rhymes.  It paints the picture that this is the lifestyle that you are indoctrinated with from a young age.

This is becoming one of my favorite songs!  What are you listening to over and over this Monday?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails