Tuesday, December 4, 2012

About to Pop Baby Shower Part 3: The Food

I started writing about the "About to Pop" Baby Shower that I gave my sister a while ago... and I have a few more posts that I need to do to finish up the series.  You can read my other posts here.

Today's post is all about the food.  Having somewhat of a catering background, I spend a lot of time thinking about the food. When I was planning this shower, there were so many different ideas on Pinterest that I found for food.  I had a hard time narrowing it down.  I decided to stick to things that I knew my sister really liked, and then throw in some new recipes as well, with one requirement... everything had to relate back to the "pop" theme.  The shower was in the middle of the afternoon, so most people had already had lunch, so there wasn't a need for a full meal or anything.  I really liked the menu that I came up with, and I made the majority of the food myself.

The Menu
Mini Homemade Pop Tarts
Popcorn Chicken
Pop Rocks Sugar Cookies
Bacon Cheddar Popovers
Cake Pops
Snap Crackle Pop Marshmallows
Jalapeno Poppers
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Popcorn Bar
Soda Pop and Water

Mini Homemade Pop Tarts
To make these, I used pre-made pie crusts.  You simply cut it into rectangles or squares and then spread strawberry (or any flavor) jam in the middle of 2 pieces.  I used a fork to crimp the edges and then baked them.  Be careful not to over-fill them, or the jam will leak out!  Once they are cool, spread icing on the top and add sprinkles. 

Popcorn Chicken
I just bought frozen popcorn chicken and baked it off... Super easy!  We served it with BBQ Sauce and Honey Mustard for dipping. 

Pop Rocks Sugar Cookies
I first saw this idea on Pinterest.  I had great plans to make sugar cookies from scratch, but simply ran out of time.  So, I modified the original idea and used ready to bake sugar cookie dough.  Once they were baked, I iced them and then sprinkled Pop Rocks on the top.  These were very good, and definitely a conversation starter!  Even with the menu card, some people thought the Pop Rocks were just sprinkles... they had a surprise!  I still want to try the original recipe sometime, which can be found here

Bacon Cheddar Popovers
I used this recipe from Tasty Kitchen (affiliated with The Pioneer Woman) to make the Popovers.  It was really easy to follow and the popovers tasted so good.  I used the tool on the website to resize the recipe for 24 servings, and there was SO much batter!  16 eggs?  1/2 gallon of milk?  It makes a TON! Using the measurements that it gave me, I was easily able to make close to 60 popovers.  

Cake Pops
This was the first time that I'd made Cake Pops.  There are a ton of tutorials out there.  I started with the basic instructions from Bakerella.  Since I'm a visual learner, this video really helped me. Even as simple as it seems, my first attempt, was a TOTAL fail!  The balls were sliding off the sticks and coming apart.  After doing a little research online, I found that I had added too much frosting to the cake crumbs in the beginning. I was also rolling the balls too big. No amount of freezing or setting was going to help them.  So, I started over.  The second time, they turned out wonderfully. Since I was only making a small amount, I found it easiest to melt the candy melts in a cup that would allow me to go straight in with the cake pop so that a lot of twisting and turning wasn't required.  (I saw this tip in all of my googling for why they were falling apart.)

Snap Crackle Pop Marshmallows
I saw S'more pops using marshmallows on Pinterest, but my sister isn't a fan of chocolate, so I knew that she probably wouldn't eat them.  I searched for a caramel coated marshmallow recipe that I could turn into a "pop" and found this recipe. I was a little skeptical at first about using the rice krispies... I didn't know how it would taste.  However, after eating one of these, this became my favorite food item at the shower! The recipe used large marshmallows, but I decided to use the really big campfire marshmallows.  I'm glad that I chose those, because if these things had of been bite sized, I would have eaten a lot more! Since the marshmallow was so big, it wouldn't work as a "pop" so I quickly renamed them "Snap Crackle Pop Marshmallows" and just used the stick to help pick them up. I'm not kidding when I say that I craved these things for days... and just writing about them now makes me want to make some more.  They are seriously that good! 

Jalapeno Poppers
These were a must, because my sister loves Jalapenos.  I just bought the TGIFridays Jalapeno Poppers and baked them. Again, super easy! 

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
These were more for me!  Lemon Poppy Seed is my most favorite muffin ever... and they fit with the whole "pop" theme.  Store bought mix and just add water.  Super simple. 

Popcorn Bar
Popcorn is really where this whole theme idea started.  I saw these really cute popcorn tubs on Pinterest with the theme, and my gears started turning.  I really liked the idea of having a Popcorn Bar.  We have this really awesome store here called Pirate's Popcorn. The popcorn is really good!  I went in and picked up three flavors: Confetti, Butter and Caramel.  I got these Popcorn Tubs from the Dollar Tree to serve the popcorn in. I liked the shape, but I didn't like the red color.  My original plan was to paint them, but I wanted to be able to use them again, so I just stuck colored tissue paper in them, and it worked out nicely.  I purchased the individual pink and orange popcorn boxes from Jelly Bean Kids

As you can see in the pictures, each menu item had it's own tent card to match the invitation.  I had so much fun doing all of the food for this shower!  It was neat to think of all the things that you could do to incorporate the "pop" theme.  Stay tuned for more posts about the shower details! 


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. These are great ideas! Thank you. My friend's baby shower is going to be a popping BLAST!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails