Friday, August 24, 2012

About to Pop Baby Shower Part 2: The Invitations


This is Part 2 of a series that I am writing about the Baby Shower that I hosted for my sister.  Click Here for Part 1

The Invitations
If you've been reading this blog for any of the other parties that I've thrown, you know that I am big on invitations.  I think that invitations should set the tone for the party, and that they make the first impression of the gathering.  I am very picky when I am selecting a design for an invitation... so I usually end up creating them myself.  This time was no different.  

I had seen several cute About to Pop invitations on Pinterest, but none of them really spoke to me.  I knew that I wanted to use a bright, fun, girly color scheme, and that I wanted to use polka dots.  For this party, I started picking the plates.  I found these great polka dot plates from Polka Dot Market and knew that those would be the basis of the color scheme.  Next, I had to decide how I wanted to translate that into an invitation. 

Many of the invitations that I'd seen had a silhouette of a pregnant woman on them, and I thought that was cute.  I also wanted to incorporate that some how.  I needed to come up with an invitation that had a mix of everything that I wanted, including fun fonts for the wording. First, I headed over to RGB Stock, which is where I get a lot of images from, and found this scrapbook page that included polka dots, a cute cloud and stripe across the bottom.  However, it needed to be changed a little to fit with the color scheme.  RGB Stock's terms allow for manipulation, so I was good to go.  I opened up Paint.net (the free photo editing software that I use) and got to work.  

I found fun fonts from dafont.com.  I used Mixtape Mike and Pop Up. I also used Arial Rounded Bold, which is on most computers.  

I was so pleased with the result: 


I had them printed at my local FedEx Office on 10 pt Gloss Cover Cardstock so that they would be nice and thick and glossy.  I loved the way they turned out.  I mailed them in white envelopes, but to fancy it up a bit, I typed the addresses in the cloud image above and printed on labels, so that the envelope and the invitation were a nice matching set. 


Thanks for reading!  More posts to come!  I had so much fun planning this shower and executing it all, there's no way I could fit everything into one post. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails