Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July "Oops Cake"


You're probably thinking that "Oops Cake" is an unusual name for a dessert, but there is a back story to this one.  Every year, our family has our traditional 4th of July Cookout.  A few years ago, I decided that I was going to make a cake that looked like a flag. Pretty traditional right... and super easy.  Here's a visual of what I was going for... 

Well, I didn't let the cake cool long enough before I decided to dump it out of the pan and it fell all to pieces. I panicked...  At first, I tried to piece it back together, but it was never gonna work... it was crumbling... so I had to refocus what I was going to do.  I decided to go with the crumbling, and just mix everything together in a bowl.  It was a hit!  We discovered that leaving it in the fridge made it taste even better.  My sister requests that I make this every year... so now, it is a July 3rd tradition that I make "Oops Cake" (My sister named it) so that it can sit over night and be ready for the July 4th Cookout. 

Here's what the finished product looks like.  I didn't get a picture before people started digging in... 
Here's how to make it: 

Ingredients
1 box of cake mix (I use white cake mix)
16 ounces of Cool Whip (2 tubs... I use the light version)
Strawberries (I used about 1.5 pints)
Blueberries (I used about a pint)
optional: 1 12 ounce can of soda

Directions
You can prepare the cake as directed on the box, but I leave out the eggs and oil and simply combine the cake mix with 12 ounces of soda (I used Diet Sprite).  Another shortcut that I take is that I "bake" my cake in the microwave.  It only takes about 10-12 minutes and cuts down on the heat in the kitchen.  Just put your batter in a microwave safe container and microwave uncovered.  The great thing is that you don't have to worry about what it looks like when it comes out because you are going to crumble it up anyway.  Wait for the cake to cool. 

Rinse Blueberries.  Remove tops and quarter strawberries then rinse. 

Once cake has cooled, crumble it into tiny pieces in your bowl.  Then add berries.  Then add Cool Whip.  Mix everything together.  

Refrigerate overnight. 

Enjoy! 

I've made this for about 4 years now... and every year, people at our cookout act like its the first time that I've ever made it.  It is so simple!  And it tastes so good.  The leftovers (if any) taste even better the next day.  It can be done anytime, but for our family, it is a July 4th tradition now.  And, because of the reduced fat cool whip, and lower calorie cake, its not that bad for you... so we don't have to feel guilty for having a large portion!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails