Friday, June 29, 2012

Friday Favorites: Teal

For as long as I can remember, I've always answered the question "What is your favorite color?" with "Purple."  After all, I am an ECU Pirate, and we bleed Purple and Gold.  But I've long been a fan of purple... I even painted my bedroom a light purple color.  Purple is the color of royalty... it is also the general color for Cancer Awareness.  But lately, I've been cheating on purple... with Teal!

Teal has become trendy.  It is being seen everywhere in fashion and home decor.  It is even becoming popular in weddings... especially peacock themed weddings. However, it is not the trendy nature of this color that makes it one of my favorites.  For me, Teal is more than a color... Teal is a cause. Teal is the color of Ovarian Cancer Awareness.  I've talked about my Grandma Ruth, and her battle with Ovarian Cancer on the blog before. Over the last few years, I have really been learning more about this horrible disease and taking on an awareness role.

If you are my Facebook friend, or you follow me on Twitter, you might have noticed some of the things that I participate in.  For example, every September, I get a Teal Pedicure as part of the Teal Toes Campaign.

Last year, I changed my profile picture on Facebook for the entire month September.

2 years ago, I made a video for It's Time to Shout. 



This year, I volunteered for the Bright Night 5K for Ovarian Cancer Research in Greenville.

I have a board on Pinterest dedicated to Ovarian Cancer Organizations and products that promote awareness.  Even my blog has had a teal color scheme for a while now.

I'm not telling you all of this to make myself sound good... there is so much more that I feel like I can be doing.  This is all about awareness... and getting people talking about Ovarian Cancer.  How many of you knew that September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month?  It is often overshadowed by  October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  You see pink and pink ribbons everywhere. While both are worthy causes, it is time for us to start speaking up more about Teal... let's make Teal the new Pink! 


I am in the very early planning stages of something that I hope will take off for the month of September. I will be posting more details later, once I get my thoughts organized.  I will be seeking the help of other bloggers and maybe even the media.  All that I have right now is a name for this idea... I want it to be sort of a movement.... I'm calling it: 
Let's spread awareness and let Teal Take Over!  You may be wondering why I'm writing about this now, at the end of June, when I don't even have any concrete ideas, and nothing will be taking place until September... but today is June 29.... this date marks 21 years since my Grandma Ruth passed away.  Tomorrow, June 30, would have been her 86th birthday. In her memory, I want to help Teal Take Over.  

So, for all of these very special reasons, Teal is my favorite this Friday! 


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Guess you need to get a UNC-Wilmington t-shirt now! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be happy to help you in anyway I can! My grandma died of cancer, also, although it was breast cancer. All cancer should be eradicated, regardless of the kind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails