Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Recipe 4/10: Banoffee Danger Pie

I made this dessert a long time ago, but I'm just getting around to blogging about it.  I first saw Banoffee Pie on Pinterest, and the recipe looked easy enough, so I decided to give it a go.  Since I'm a visual person, I also decided to take pictures of each step for this blog post.  I made the dessert at my mom's house, and my dad said, "I've never seen anybody take pictures of boiling water"... he thinks I'm weird...

Seriously, y'all, this is so good! And super easy... and I took the long way.  There are several shortcuts that you can take to make this even more simple.

Ingredients
3 bananas
1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (don't get evaporated milk)
2 cups of Whipping Cream
1 package of Graham Crackers
1 stick of butter
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Flavoring
1 small chocolate bar

Instructions


1. This step takes the longest time, but it can be done well in advance.  Remove the label from the can of condensed mill and submerge it in water.  Boil the can for 2.5 hours.  Make sure that it is covered with water at all times!  This is making dulce de leche, which is kind of like a caramel sauce.  After it has boiled for 2.5 hours, allow time for it to cool before you open the can. I boiled 2 cans this time, so I have a can left over to use later.
See... the picture of boiling water... you can see the cans in there. 

2. Break up the Graham Crackers and grind them up.  You want them to be very fine, so using a food processor works best.  I used my Tupperware Quick Chef Pro
Break up the crackers...
Then grind them fine. 

3. Melt the stick of butter and add it to the graham crackers.  Mix until you have a moist mixture. 
Add the melted butter. 
Moist mixture

4. Smooth out the graham cracker/butter mixture in a pie dish.  (The trick to this is to use the bottom of a cup to press it down.)  Then bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. 
Graham cracker crust. 

5.  Slice Bananas and layer over cooled graham cracker crust.  They don't have to be exact, but you don't want them to be really uneven, so even them out as much as possible. 

Banana layer

6. Pour the dulce de leche over the bananas and smooth it out.  You may have to stir the dulce de leche in the can to mix it a little before pouring. 
Pour over the bananas. 

7. Mix the whipped cream.  I used my Tupperware Whip N' Prep Chef to make the whipped cream.  One thing that I did add to it was powdered sugar.  The recipe said only to add the vanilla, but I thought it needed to be sweeter.  You can add the sugar to your taste. 
Whip the cream

8. Cover the pie with the cream.  I put it on thick.  After this, you may want to refrigerate it for a while, just to let everything settle. 
Cream on top.

9. Using a grater or microplane, shave chocolate on top of the chilled pie. 
Chocolate shavings on top.

10. Slice and enjoy... and try not to eat the whole thing. If you're nice, share with others! 
Yummm!

Want the abbreviated version?  Here's how you can make the same dessert in about 5 minutes.  I haven't done it this way, so I don't know if it is as good... but in a pinch you can really save some time. 

1. Buy Dulce De Leche from the store. 
2. Buy a Graham Cracker Pie Crust from the store. 
3. Layer bananas in the pie crust. 
4. Cover with store bought dulce de leche. 
5. Buy Whipped Cream from store. 
6. Cover pie with whipped cream. Let sit.
7. Shave chocolate on top. 

This was seriously so good.  Store the leftovers (if there is any) in the fridge... its good the next day too! I was wondering why the word "Danger" was in the name of the dessert, but now I know... its so good, its dangerous, because you might eat it all yourself! Now, I think I'll use that 2nd can of dulce de leche I made and make this again soon! 

PS: Don't forget to enter the Bitty Bug Designs Giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails