Thursday, February 16, 2012

Teaching Thursday: My Teaching Philosophy

Teaching is a big part of my life.  For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a teacher.  There was a time when I thought I had changed my mind, but I realized that teaching is my passion, and it is what I was "called" to do.  Since I am in school now to finish my teaching degree, I am finding lots and lots of ideas and methods to use in my classroom one day.  Teaching Thursday will be a place that I can share those thoughts and ideas with you, and so that I can have them in one place for future use as well. 

I had planned to do another post today, but was asked to hold off on that one until next week, because it was about a brand new product that is coming out for teachers, and the company pushed the release date back.  So, I had to start thinking of something else to post for today.  I decided that it would be good to start this whole Teaching Thursday blog series with my own Teaching Philosophy.  We had to write it in one of my classes last semester, and I really enjoyed putting into words what I believe about teaching and learning.  This document will always be a work in progress, but as of right now, this is my Teaching Philosophy. 

            I believe that all children are unique and possess the capabilities to learn and to contribute to society.  My job as a teacher is to ignite a child’s passion for learning, so that their enthusiasm for education and growth continues for a lifetime.  I will help shape children into becoming an educated contributor to the world around them.  Although each child is different, they all deserve the same respect, encouragement and guidance.  In my classroom, I will provide my students with a safe and stimulating environment that will focus on creating a community of learners.  In our classroom community, we will support each other to be the best version of ourselves.
            When a student enters my classroom, they will know that they are coming to a place where they are wanted and appreciated.  School should not be a place where children dread going.  It should be a place where students want to spend time with people that value them as the exceptional individual that they are.  It should be a place where students feel respected and encouraged.  In our classroom community, we will embrace individuality and promote togetherness.
It is important that I act as a role model for my students and show them that I am excited about my job, so that they will be excited about theirs.  I will strive to demonstrate to my students that as their teacher, I will always have their best interest at heart. As the student, the children should show me that they are ready to learn and accept the challenges that are given to them daily.  In our classroom community, everyone will know their role and what is expected of them.
            In order to accommodate many types of students, I will differentiate my instructional practices.  I know that students learn in different ways, and it is important to find what works best for the students in your classroom.  If a student does not understand a concept that is being taught, it is my hope that they will feel comfortable in sharing that with me so that I can teach it to them in a different way.  In our classroom community, we will be open and honest with each other about our thoughts and feelings.
            All communities must have rules and order to be successful.  I will provide my students with a clear set of rules so that they always know my expectations.  The students must also know that if they do not follow the rules that there will be consequences.  Molding children into responsible adults is not only about teaching content, but about teaching life lessons as well.  In our classroom community, we will have orderly conduct to create an atmosphere that is conducive to learning.
            If everyone gives it their all, we can be successful.  As the teacher, I must pour all of myself into providing my students with the best education possible.  The students must always do their best in order to gain the most out of the lessons being taught.  With a common goal of learning in mind, and continued support and encouragement, I will be a successful teacher, and my students will be successful learners.  In our classroom community, we will always give 100%.

So there you have it... my Teaching Philosophy.  Maybe that will give you a little more understanding about where I am coming from.  I think that its a good way to begin this blogging series.  This series will probably change a lot over the next few months, as I continue in school, and eventually becoming a teacher.  


PS: Don't forget to enter the Tupperware Eco Water Bottle Giveaway! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails