Saturday, January 23, 2010

Book Review -- "We're Just Like You, Only Prettier" by Celia Rivenbark


When Stacey tweeted that she had just read a book called "We're Just Like You, Only Prettier," I replied back, I need to read that. She said the book was hilarious and that I could borrow it. After doing a little research, I found out that Celia Rivenbark is a NC Native, and grew up in Duplin County. If you haven't figured it out yet, I love local authors, so I was excited to find another one to add to the list.

The book, subtitled "Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle," is a collection of hilarious essays about everyday life from the prospective of a Southern woman. Just reading the table of contents, I found myself laughing out loud at the chapter titles. Once I started reading, I was not disappointed. Any book that compares Southern women to collard greens in the introduction is a winner in my mind.

This was a quick read, probably because I didn't want to stop reading. Because it is written as essays, it is easy to read for a while, put down and pick back up. Even though Rivenbark is Southern (and it certainly comes out in her writing) the topics discussed in the book will appeal to women everywhere. You just might have to get a Southerner to translate parts for you. I would definitely recommend this book. Rivenbark has published a total of 5 books, and I can't wait to read the other 4.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am glad you liked it. I am trying to find more of her books..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails