Thursday, December 31, 2009

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

10 years ago, when asked that question, I ALWAYS had an answer. I was a planner... I knew what I wanted to do with life, and what I was going to do to get there. So, 10 years ago, as a 14 year old high school Freshman, this was always my answer:

I will have graduated from East Carolina University as a Teaching Fellow and be in my 3rd year as a teacher. By then, I will be married, and probably have a child.
I look back on that now, 10 years later, and the reality is, that none of that has happened. Back then, I was so focused on making all of that happen, and making everyone happy. Now, as I've grown, I've realized that even the best made plans, some times fail, and in the grand scheme of things, it is OK if they do. Its been a long road to that realization, and to be at peace with things not turning out the way that I planned, but I've learned a lot, and come to realize that everything truly happens for a reason.

Here are some 0f the most memorable moments of the past decade:
  • Went through High School. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.
  • Got my first job as a cashier at Piggly Wiggly.
  • Turned 16 and got my driver's license.
  • Totaled my first car - well it wasn't my fault.
  • Realized that my first long term crush wasn't ever going to happen
  • Went through the entire Teaching Fellows Selection process - it was long and difficult, but I was accepted into the program.
  • Worked in Fast Food.
  • Made a quilt.
  • Turned 18.
  • Graduated High School, 5th in my class of 131 students.
  • Moved out of my parents' house for the first time ever to a dorm room to live with a person who I'd never met, but came to love.
  • Began my college career.
  • Was admitted to the hospital for gall stones and pancreatitis. This resulted in having my gall bladder removed and staying in the hospital for a week over Christmas.
  • Worked as a Resident Advisor for a year.
  • Lost my Grandma.
  • Moved back into my parents house.
  • Withdrew from the Teaching Fellows Program.
  • Struggled with depression.
  • Lost innocence.
  • Started dating.
  • Changed my major to Business Management.
  • Turned 21. - The last of the "birthdays you look forward to"
  • Met a guy who I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with. Became engaged and planned our wedding. Later realized that it wasn't going to work out, and made the hardest decision of my life to break off the engagement.
  • Stopped going to college.
  • Bought a house.
  • Lost a job that I had been working for over a year.
  • Began substitute teaching for a second time. This made me want to finish my teaching degree.
  • Helped my parents celebrate 25 years of marriage.
  • Started selling Tupperware.
  • Started working with my current company, until the time is right to go back to school.
  • Gained a Brother In Law.
  • Continued to battle with depression.
  • Found out I'm going to be an Aunt.
  • Had hope for a better 10 years ahead.
Over all, the last 10 years haven't been all that I hoped they would, but they have shaped me into who I am today. I've learned to not make plans long term. So, where do I see myself in the next 10 years? Who knows. Hopefully, I will be doing something that I love with people that I love.

So good riddance to the 2000's. Here's to a more fulfilling 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails