Monday, May 25, 2009

#TriangleTweetup 2.0 - An "Outsider's" Perspective

Still playing catch up here folks... bare with me.  

If you've been reading for sometime now, you are probably aware of my love of Twitter.  It is becoming a serious addiction for which some people feel I need an intervention.  I have written here before about Tweetups and connecting with the Greenville Community through Twitter.  Lately, Tweetups have become something that I  genuinely look forward to.  Back in March, we had a very successful Tweetup... with about 25 in attendance and media coverage to boot.

When we heard about the TriangleTweetup that was being held in Durham at Bronto, on April 30, a group of us Greenville Tweeple decided to make the trip to see what it was all about.  Six of us met at Starbucks to carpool to the event. It took close to 2 hours to get there and once we got parked and found the place, we were greeted with lots of green dinosaurs (Bronto's Mascot).  When the Greenville crew walked in, we definitely got a few looks, because @derekbrown wore a big yellow cowboy hat that he found in the back of my car on the ride up...

 

If I had to summarize the event in one word, I would personally say that for me, it was "Overwhelming."  There were so many people there, the whole building was alive with chatter and excitement filled the air.  Upon entering, I knew this was definitely going to be a unique experience.  

There was a lot on the agenda, but it was hard to hear the speakers, so I moved away and started talking to some people closer to the food and drinks.  They had their event catered and there was free beer and wine tastings.  There were people taking pictures everywhere, and of course, lots and lots of twittering.  The hashtag #TriangleTweetup became a trending topic on twitter that night and lots of people, not in attendance, wondered what it was all about.  

Downstairs, they had other activities going on like Wii games, and a Twitter Twister competition.  We sat and watched that for a little while, and it was definitely entertaining.  


I had a lot of fun at the Tweetup.  It was really interesting to see what the Greenville Twitter Community could possibly turn into.  I can't imagine the amount of planning a preparation that went into making the Triangle Tweetup a huge success.  The event organizers and sponsors did a great job.  We appreciated them having us!

I'm looking forward to Greenville's next tweetup, which will be this Thursday, May 28 from 7-9pm at Joyner Library at ECU.  Click here for all the details.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails