Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Cause everything is rent!"

A couple of weeks ago, Carmen (someone I used to be very close with) called to tell me that they were showing a taping of RENT (recorded live on Broadway) at our local theater and asked me if I wanted to go. Of course, I said Yes!

RENT is like one of my all time favorite musicals. However, my love affair with the show only started a few years ago when it was redone as a Movie. I went to see it and have loved it ever since. The first time that I saw it, I wrote about in my Xanga, which was a blog I kept religiously back then. This is what I posted... (note: the Carmen in this post is not the same Carmen I went to see the live recording with)
So tonight I went to see Rent with Carmen Pack, Jim, and Jim's roommate Buddy. OMG it was so good! I cried.... the music was awesome. I went into it not knowing anything about the story line... all I knew was the "Seasons of Love" song... you know.. 525,600 minutes... but I came out of it only wanting to see it more on Broadway... I am even more excited now!

I also came out of it thinking about my own life... about having no regrets, and living for today and only today. You can't live in the past and you really can't plan for the future. Such a good message.

Is there a movie that gave you a new outlook on life?


I haven't had the chance to see the show performed live (I was supposed to go see it on Broadway, but that trip fell through)... so seeing a taping of a live show, on a big screen was the next best option. It was so GREAT! The music absolutely rocked... but I wouldn't have expected any less. All of the emotions of seeing it for the first time on the big screen came flooding back.

It was also great to catch up with an old friend. We were super close in the past... just like sisters, but we drifted apart over the last couple of years. We ate lunch afterwards, and watched the Pirates bomb their 2nd game in a row... Overall, it was fun to just get out of the house and do something for once!

Off topic Note: I linked my Xanga earlier... I have kept this blog up, mainly for my own reading, but feel free to read it... It will give you great insight into my life in the past... it was a great coping mechanism when I was going through a lot of stuff a few years back and when I did most of my changing as a person. I wrote as if no one was reading, and didn't care what it said... wrote strictly whatever I was thinking. I really hope that this blog will develop into that.

TTFN,
Crystal

2 comments:

  1. Rent is one of my all-time favorite musicals! I saw it in New York and on tour (in Raleigh). You know it is coming to Durham this winter with the original Roger and Mark!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have yet to watch the entire movie of RENT...maybe one day. Glad you've finally updated. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from my readers! I reply to comments by email, so make sure that you're not a "no-reply blogger." Due to the enormous amount of spam comments that I have been receiving, you must now login with a Google of OpenID account to comment. If you'd like to comment and you do not have one of those accounts, feel free to send me a tweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails